Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Moving Forward. Kind of...

Last year my life changed quite dramatically.

Pursuing playing golf had been the focus of our family for a while.  The biggest areas of concern centered around how I could/would provide for my family while trying to spend as much time as possible practicing and playing tournaments to begin preparations for Q School.  In case you didn't know this is one of two ways to actually make it to the PGA Tour.  The other way is through the Battlefield Promotion from the lower-tiered WEB.com Tour.  (blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, right?!)

As stated in a previous post Into The Land of Sponsors I Goit is an almost never ending circle of trying to earn sponsors and sponsorships or make enough money to be able to focus on golf only.  In the end, since I do not happen to be independently wealthy, I am left to move forward through whatever door opens by whatever means available.

That open door came through an opportunity to help start/build a company.  A golf company!

No, just kidding (I wish).

The offer was to help build a medical services company.  Why me?  I asked the same question.  This had nothing to do with golf.  This was going to take me away from playing and practicing not allowing me to do more of it.  My first instinct was....NO!  But after some gentle persuasion from my amazing wife, we decided that this was the best option for us currently and would give us the best chance to achieve our goal.

So, I quit my job at the golf course and started my new job.  The possibilities are endless and there is a great chance of building something that someone may want to pay a lot of money for someday (*fingers crossed*). But the beginning was filled with tough spots and lessons learned as a company, and personally, selling most of what we owned (including my golf clubs) while we waited for the company to get paid so we could get paid.  Excitement at its finest. Faith at its simplest.

Fast forward one year and we are a growing company who is starting to make a dent in the areas we focus in.  My marriage is moving forward and my family is moving forward.  Everything in life is moving forward including the dreams I harbor everyday of playing golf and letting God use me however He chooses.  All in all, things are...moving forward.

I don't know what tomorrow, next year, or 15 years from now (when I turn 50 and I am no longer eligible to play on the PGA Tour) will bring.  But I do know that my life is moving forward.

Is there anymore I can truly hope for?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When you make it big, can I be your caddy?

Nathaniel Hyatt said...

Mike, thanks for the offer, but I believe your skills are better suited in other areas. Although, I might have a better chance at being your groupie!